June 8, 2011

Soap: Take 1

I have been looking into making soap for a while but wasn't quite sure where to start. I was browsing on eBay and found some great kits for soapmaking! I received my kit and a few days later I was ready to make some soap and a big mess. This is the kit that I purchased. Everything I needed was included, other than something to melt in and stir with. I ordered a couple books that came highly recommended and found a few websites to help me figure out the chemistry of soap making. Stay tuned...
soap base, dye, oils, scents, powdered milk, dried herbs, vitamin e... all I need to get started.
My makeshift double boiler.

Melting down, added color, scent and green tea leaves.

Poured into molds. The one on the left is still in the mold... a week later.  Lots of trial and error.

My first soap loaf our of the mold! This one has dried calendula. 

I cut the loaf into smaller pieces and it is curing. These are sample sized, planning on letting a few friends try them out so they can give me some honest opinions.  

This is one of the books I ordered.
Have you ever made soap? Tips and encouragement are welcome!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...